This page will disseminate opinions on topics from music, to televison, to movies, to sports, to whatever may be of interest to me at that moment in time. These opinions will absolutely be short-sighted, ill-informed, reactionary, exaggerated, or just flat out wrong. But they will absolutely be my opinions.

30.11.11

Why I’m Sad To See The NBA Lockout End



When news broke early Saturday morning that the NBA Owners and NBPA had tentatively agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement that would save the season and start on Christmas Day, it was met with quite a bit of enthusiasm across the internet. Coming off the most successful season (by TV Ratings) in the NBA’s history, the public was anxious for the league to get back to work and give the fans another season of stellar play and myriad storylines. I, on the other hand, met the news of the lockouts end with feelings of sadness and resignation. I had accepted in my mind a year without an NBA season and had even gotten to the point where I was looking forward to it, for a couple of different reasons, after the jump.


1. I was looking forward to an increased amount of attention on College Basketball.
With the NBA out of commission, there was only one place for people to turn to get their basketball fix, and that was the College ranks. As much as I enjoy the NBA and passionately root for the Golden State Warriors, I prefer the College game to the pro game.  It’s not because I foolishly believe the level of play is any better, that’s absurd. What makes College Basketball special to me are its intangible qualities.  The atmosphere at a big time college game is nothing like anything you’ll see at a pro venue.  The fans are exponentially more vocal and emotionally attached.  The gyms are built more for maximizing capacity in a small space than comfort, meaning fans and students are packed like sardines form the rafters to the edge of the court. Envelope-pushing signs and chants are not only allowed, but encouraged. A home game at any college that cares about its hoop team is a wonderful experience.

There’s also the “Jimmer Phenomenon” of a one-trick pony getting the chance to excel and put on a riveting show because of lower quality competition.  He and JJ Reddick may not be great NBA players by any stretch of the imagination, but love them or hate them, watching them shoot more accurate from 30+ feet than you could from 3 feet is a sight to behold.  There’s the raw emotion of the players that cant possibly be matched by a professional going out and doing a job.

And then there’s the upsets. Oh my, the upsets.  Of all the memories I have of watching basketball games of any level, at least 2/3 of them are various game winners by teams pulling massive upsets.  When you’re dealing with 18-21 year olds, you’re asking for unpredictability, without which games like Princeton over UCLA don't happen. Names like “Bryce Drew” and “Valparaiso” would mean nothing, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. Without the continuous mental lapses of college kids, someone on Houston remembers to block out Lorenzo Charles, and this doesn't happen.

There are too many reasons to list here, but I was looking forward to College Basketball having the spotlight to itself, and for people who hadn’t really given college ball a try and seen its unique traits to potentially get the bug themselves.  With about 2 weeks of games already in the books and a few more weeks to go before the NBA season starts I guess its possible that may still happen, but im much less optimistic about that than if the NCAA had the whole year to themselves.

2. I don’t like to see greed and stupidity rewarded.

Make no mistake, there were no good guys in this lockout.  Both sides behaved like selfish 2 year-olds, and exercised about the same amount of common sense and intellect as one.  The owners were by far the bullies here, initially asking for a 20% reduction of the players cut of Basketball Related Income. The owners came down from that number, finally cutting an agreement at somewhere around a 50.5/49.5 split in favor of the players, down from a 57-43 in the last CBA, but still took the players to the cleaners over the BRI and many other issues.  As ESPN columnist Ric Bucher stated in reference to the owners giving the players that extra .5 %, “The Owners essentially just robbed the players house, and then gave them back a fork”.  A deal could have been done weeks ago, but the owners insisted on winning every battle over every little issue.  The owners wanted to publicly flog the union, and because of that a logical compromise took an extra 2+ weeks to be reached.

The players aren’t blameless in this mess either.  They foolishly tried to play the “hey its not our fault, we like things just the way they are” card, not realizing that the way things were was not working out.  NBA players are the best taken care of athletes in professional sports, with the highest average salary, the highest minimum salary, guaranteed contracts, and a million other perks and benefits that go under the radar.  Rashard Lewis is going to be the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA this year, behind only Kobe Bryant, and he can’t crack the starting lineup of the Washington Wizards.  Gilbert Arenas was arrested and charged with a felony for bringing multiple handguns into the locker room, and he STILL is going to be paid the remainder of his $105+ million dollar contract.  There are a million other examples of embarrassingly overpaid players on every team. 

Couple that with the fact that anywhere from a quarter to half the league was losing money every year, depending on which financial records you believe, and the players needed to realize they didn’t have any bargaining power and needed to make some concessions and try to get a deal done quickly before losing any paychecks and costing themselves even more money.  Almost the same exact deal was on the table for the players to take back in September. A 50-50 split instead of 50.5, but they wouldn’t have missed any game checks.  The players insisted on 53, and the league cancelled games. Then the players went to 52, the league cancelled more games. Finally, after missing 3 paychecks, the players take a deal for 50.5 percent.  By getting that extra .5 percent, the players gained about $350 million dollars over the life of the new CBA.  By missing 3 paychecks the players lost over $500 million dollars.  Instead of realizing they didn’t have a leg to stand on and jumping at the 50-50 and a full season, the players made it personal held out for a bigger number, and ended up costing themselves over $150 million dollars.

Neither side deserved to feel like winners after this. They deserved for the season to be cancelled, a deal to finally be struck next summer, and then the fans don’t come back and both sides realize they shot themselves in the foot.  Call me spiteful, but I would have been happy to see both sides fail.

3. I was looking forward to a year without the Warriors pushing me closer to an early grave.

I know people will say I’m not a real fan for feeling this way (actually people have already said it), and that I’m a hater and the Warriors are going to make the playoffs, and all that other garbage. Anybody who questions my fandom because of this statement, hasn’t been as devoted a fan for as long as I have.  My first memory of my continuous Warrior following is watching the draft lottery in June of 1995 with my dad, which the warriors won the right to the #1 pick.  This was my first meeting with Warrior optimism, and later on my first meeting with Warrior disappointment.  That first pick, the “franchise savior,” was used on one Joe Smith of Maryland. Joe Smith’s career consists of being traded 7 different times, playing with 12 different teams, and 0 All-Star Games.  The 4 players that went immediately after him: Antonio Mcdyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, and Kevin Garnett.  Every other player in the top 5 played in at least 1 all-star game.  The Warriors of course ended up with the only one that didn’t.

In the 16 years since I can remember actively following Warriors basketball, they have made a grand total of 1 playoff appearance. In a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year. Golden State has failed to even reach the level of “mediocre” 15 out of 16 years.  Throughout the way I’ve been witness to a trainwreck of decision making, from boneheaded draft picks (Todd Fuller over Kobe Bryant! Adonal Foyle over Tracy Mcgrady!), to boneheaded trades (Chris Webber for Tom Gugliotta! Marc Jackson for Dean Garrett! Mookie Blaylock! Steven Jackson for an injured Raja Bell!), to boneheaded free agent signings (extensions for Dunleavy, Murphy and Foyle!), and I, with a straight face, defended them all.  Every year, I’ve gone into the season excited and hoping for some improvement, and almost every year all I get is frustration and disappointment.  I love this team. From the months of November through April my mood rises and falls with the success of this team, meaning my winters have been ruined almost without exception since I was 9 years old.  My parents occasionally worry about my often-cynical outlook on life.  I blame my cynicism on the Warriors.  When the thing you love the most (outside of family of course) fails you over and over, its only natural for that pain and bitterness to invade the rest of your outlook

That is mostly why I’m sad to see the lockout end.  A year without Warrior disappointment excited me.  It made me optimistic, it soothed me.  No NBA allowed me to watch basketball without having to think at all how it affected the Warriors season.  But in true Warrior fashion, they had to disappoint me by caving and agreeing to a deal with the players and saving the season.  Now no matter how far I try to distance myself from the team, no matter how low I set my expectations, by January 1st I will be completely sucked back in.  I will throw the remote at every ill-advised Monta Elllis jumpshot.  I will cringe at every free throw taken by Andris Biedrins.  I will watch flabbergasted as David Lee plays his patented version of matador defense (olé!).  This team will disappoint me and stress me out and take years off my life, and I can do nothing to stop it.  The march to 26-40 starts on Christmas, and even though I know its coming, I can’t break away…

Because, you know, a new coach who stresses defense might be able to make a difference.  And if Jerry West liked this Klay Thompson kid, he must be alright.  And Steph Curry will be healthy this go around. And a full year of Ekpe Udoh should help out… you know what, we might not be half bad if we can catch a couple of breaks…

(Uh oh, here I go again…)

No comments: