This page will disseminate opinions on topics from music, to televison, to movies, to sports, to whatever may be of interest to me at that moment in time. These opinions will absolutely be short-sighted, ill-informed, reactionary, exaggerated, or just flat out wrong. But they will absolutely be my opinions.

11.9.12

Wrapping up Week 1 in the NFL



The way this is going to work (for now, I reserve the right to change the format if it turns out this blows): Instead of recapping each game, I’m just going to spotlight one player from each game, for good or bad, whose performance interested me in some way.

New York Jets 48, Buffalo 28
CJ Spiller, RB, Buffalo: Well, can’t say I saw this one coming. I was anti-spiller from the second he was drafted. I thought he was too small, too fragile and wholly undeserving of a high 1st round pick.  And for most of his first 2 years, I thought I was being proven right, especially since if a RB is going to be good he’s usually pretty good right away. Well, apparently I missed the last 3 games of 2011 where he accrued 405 total yards, 4 touchdowns, and averaged 6.39 yards per carry. Then he goes off for 169 yards on Sunday on only 14 carries, while incumbent starter Fred Jackson is out at least 3 weeks. This wouldn’t be my first time eating crow, but it would definitely be one of my least expected meals.


Chicago 41, Indianapolis 21
Brandon Marshall, WR, Chicago: To anyone who thought that the importance of Marshall’s reunion with Jay Cutler was overblown, I submit week 1 as evidence to the contrary. Marshall didn’t just have 9 catches for 119 yards and a touchdown, he was targeted 15 times with an insane 12 of those coming in the first half alone, before the game got really out of hand. To be perfectly honest, while watching it felt like even more than that. From what I saw Sunday, I think Brandon Marshall is in for a monster year and will lead the NFL in receptions.

Philadelphia 17, Cleveland 16
Brandon Weeden, QB, Cleveland: Yes, Vick was disturbingly bad and should probably be investigated for point-shaving (I mean, would YOU put point-shaving past someone who ran inter-state dog-fighting ring), Brandon Weeden threw up one of the worst Quarterbacking performances I’ve ever seen. 12 of 35 for 118 yards, 0 TD’s & 4 INT, giving him a QB rating of 5.1. If you’re not familiar, the max QB rating is 158.3. 5.1 really isn’t very good. One of my favorite stats from this travesty: Brandon Weeden’s adjusted Yards per attempt, was –1.8. So essentially, everytime Weeden threw the ball he essentially moved Cleveland backwards 2 yards. My other favorite stat: Weeden is 29 years old, so its probably not going to get any better from here.

Detroit 27, St. Louis 23
Matt Stafford, QB, Detroit: Stafford is not nearly as bad as he looked in this game, and the Lions will be fine. His 32-of-48 for 355 yards is actually better than his average statline from 2011. The Interceptions were the main issue, and there is no reason to believe Stafford will continue to throw picks on 6% of his passes, a number almost triple his rate from last year and even worse than his rookie rate. The Lions have a lot of potential issues, but Stafford, provided he’s healthy, will not be one of them.

Houston 30, Miami 10
Ryan Tannehill, QB, Miami: Ryan Tannehill will not be a good college Quarterback. EVER. Tannehill was my pick for likeliest bust from this past draft, mainly because I saw a lot of him in college, and he wasn’t even that good then.  Brandon Weeden was a better college QB than Tannehill, both by the eye-test and the numbers. Tannehill is a horrendous decision maker and not terribly accurate, two traits that should of raised red flags, but I guess the fact that he can look good in shorts and a tanktop and without defenders trumps the fact that in actual games he rarely rose above mediocre. How are professional GM’s consistently this dumb?

Atlanta 40, Kansas City 24
Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta: My little brother has been a fan since his first game as a freshman at Alabama. My little brother knew from the beginning he was going to be a monster in the pros.  My little brother is a smart man.

Minnesota 26, Jacksonville 23
Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota: Peterson didn’t look quite 100%, but that doesn’t matter. He shouldn’t have even been 1%. You don’t come back from a completely blown up knee in 8 months, I am alternately excited and terrified for AP. Excited for the incredible recovery, and terrified because it just feels like the odds of the knee going boom again are uncomfortably high. Good luck AP.

Washington 40, New Orleans 32
Robert Griffin III, QB, Washington: I’m not saying, I’m just saying.

New England 34, Tennessee 13
Wes Welker, WR, New England: I’ve felt like Welker has been the most overrated player in football for pretty much his entire career, and its bugged me to see him run just 1 route and have a top 5 QB of all-time throwing him the ball and see him mentioned as a great wideout. So seeing New England extend both Gronk and Hernandez while ignoring Wes, and then reduce him to splitting time with Julian Edelman brought me great joy. I am not above schadenfreude.

Tampa Bay 16, Carolina 10
Deangelo Williams, RB, Carolina: Unbelieveable. Every fantasy football player has been waiting for years for one of Carolina’s two-head RB tandem to go down with an injury, leaving a bounty of carries for just one back. Well, it finally happened and Deangelo Williams throws up a line of 6 carries for –1 yard. What. The. Hell.

Arizona 20, Seattle 16
Patrick Peterson, DB, Arizona: Patrick Peterson is Deion Sanders with the ability to make tackles. I don’t anything else to add, just felt like you guys should probably know that if you didn’t already.

San Francisco 30, Green Bay 22
Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco: Crabtree is going to be the biggest benefactor of the additions of Randy Moss and Mario Manningham. With legit deep threats on the outside, Crabtree will be free to roam underneath and in the middle of the field, where his bear-trap hands and strength will be of the most value. His 7 receptions for 76 yards strike me as what will be a perfectly normal day at the office for him. I’m thinking he tops 90 catches and 1000 yards this year, even in the Niners run heavy offense.

Denver 31, Pittsburgh 19
Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh: Dear Mr. Roethlisberger, you need to stop this whole spreading the ball around thing immediately. 4 receivers with 4 catches each? Not gonna fly. On behalf of my fantasy team, stop screwing around and throw the ball to Mike Wallace. Constantly. Thank you.

Baltimore 44, Cincinnati 13
Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore: All the talk during the off-season from every member of the Ravens was that this was finally Joe Flacco’s team and he would lead the team. Nobody really bought it. Turns out Baltimore was serious.  If Flacco finally takes the next step into the elite level of QB’s, Baltimore will be the best team in the AFC, period. Too bad this might be the last year the defense plays at an elite level, but better late than never, right?

San Diego 22, Oakland 14
Darren McFadden, RB, Oakland: For the love of god Oakland, can you get this guy some help please? I’m skeptical of his ability to actually stay on the field for 16 games, but if he does it, the mantle of best RB in football is his, end of story. Too bad the whole staying healthy thing is tougher than it looks.

You can follow Andy on twitter @AMOhoop34.

No comments: